Health Insurance

Medical and Health insurance care in Russia…

Before arriving in Russia, you need to ensure that you have adequate health insurance coverage.

Russian Health Insurance

Many health insurance policies already include international coverage. So it is very likely you wont actually need to spend extra money on coverage. Do check with your own insurance company to see if you will be covered already. Should you need assistance in obtaining an insurance policy to cover you whilst in Russia, do please get in touch.

You will need to send us a copy of the letter from your insurance company that states you will be covered during your period of study in Russia, along with a copy of your insurance card. Both these documents must have your name on, and this has to be done no later than 60 days prior to your departure.

It is your responsibility to arrange for death, accident, theft, personal liability and medical travel insurance that will cover you during your period of study in Russia. You must remember that the host family, school or ourselves will be able to provide you with any money in the event of emergency, accident, illness or injury.

If you are unable to provide proof of a valid insurance plan, this will be considered as your voluntary withdrawal from the programme. You are not able to participate in any programme without a valid insurance certificate.

Please contact us for further details

Medical insurance for EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of any of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, you have access to essential health care if you register beforehand at a social insurance office in your home country and obtain a European Health Insurance card. With this form you only pay the normal patient fee, just like all other Russians.
Students that do not register with their social insurance office in their home country need to arrange their own insurance coverage. This is also best done in your home country. Medical treatment is expensive without any form of health insurance.

Medical insurance for non-EU/EEA citizens: stays of one year or more
as a visiting student, if your study program is longer than three months, you are entitled to the same health benefits as Russians as soon as you arrive.
The application procedure can take some time, but you will be fully covered if you need medical help during the time it takes to process your application.

However, this medical insurance does not cover your journey to Russia or the time you spend in the country prior to applying for registration. Thus, to be fully covered for that period, you will need some form of travel insurance.

Non-EU/EEA citizens: stays of less than 90 days

The Russian University or college to which you have been accepted may provide you with health insurance coverage.

Russia has reciprocal agreements for medical benefits with a number of countries. To find out whether your country has such an agreement, you should contact the social insurance office in your home country or contact us.

Students from countries with this type of agreement need only present their passport and a certificate from their national social insurance office when seeking medical help. For the reciprocal agreement to apply, the need for medical care must arise during your stay in Russia.

Students who are not covered by any of these agreements must arrange their own insurance coverage. In Russia, medical treatment is expensive without any form of insurance.

Medical treatment in Russia

If you need to consult a doctor (and you are covered–see above) you can either make an appointment with the doctor at the your university, or go to the local health clinic.

It might be a good idea to have a thorough check-up at your dentist before leaving for Russia. Should you still need to consult a dentist here, go to your nearest public dental clinic. For urgent dental treatment, see the emergency dental clinic. Doctors speak good English. We may be able to assist you if you would like to consult a doctor that speaks another foreign language.


There are no vaccination requirements for any international traveler entering Russia. However, some universities may require a medical certificate as part of the application to their programs.

Coming events

How to apply Medicine Study Abroad